Using Nikon 35-70mm Ais lens on D3000  

Posted by The Simple Layman

If you are like me, perhaps you shied away from the D3000 Nikon because you were told you cannot mount the older lenses on it. This is not true.  Older Ais lenses will mount on the D3000.  However, you must be careful not to mount wide angles of the extreme variety since the lens will protrude too far into the mirror box and possibly break the mirror or other mechanisms.

In fact, I prefer to use my 35-70 manual lens for almost every situation.  The 35-70mm Nikon zoom lens is equivalent to a 50-105 because the ccd image sensor is 1.5 times smaller than the 35mm frame size.

I prefer the 35-70mm because of it's superior sharpness and less chromatic abberition that usually needs correction for shots taken with the 18-55mm stock zoom that comes with the D3000.  Noted, the stock lens is arguably a very good lens and the chromatic abberition is hardly noticable except with enlargments.  The 35-70 though has a smoothness that is appealing to me over the 18-55 stock lens.

After years of shooting with meters and grey cards I decided to just guess at my exposures, since the D3000 meter does not work with these old lenses. I was surprised to find most of my photos were properly exposed for most scenes.  If you struggle with guessing at proper exposure then you can use the old handheld meter and judge the resulting exposure on the LCD screen.  I have also used the 50mm "E" series lens which is slightly sharper, but it is simply easier to carry one lens, since the 35-70 is acceptable to me.  I also love it's lightness and find it is the only lens I need for most shots.

Below are some pics I took recently to show an example of how the D3000 fairs with 35-70mm manual lens mounted on it.  These are large pics but I hope you enjoy them. Click on any of the photos to see an enlargement.













This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at Wednesday, April 14, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Anonymous  

I just purchased a D3000 today for the same reason.To use my older AI lenses I hate to part with.It's like going into the now of photography and going back to remembering the old of totally manual camera use.Have you been using the normal image setting for these photos or fine? The only problem I've had at the start is not having a split screen or larger image brackets to really be sure I'm in exact focus.Of course it's easy to see afterwards as long as the subject stays around.
Thanks for your blog, Scott

July 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I use "raw" mode and edit it to Jpeg in a couple of other programs. Picasa can edit raw pics. I like Picasa for 3 things:

1. "fill light" (because it really can bring out the shadow details)

2. "Straighten," (because I don't always get it straight horizontally)

3. "Sharpen control."

I have found Picasa to be the easiest for these features. I use "Gimp" for all the other adjustments. Both programs are free.

I do not miss the split screen. Instead I look for small highlights if possible in the picture, ( a drop of dew, a shimmer on glass, etc.) to focus on. Sometimes I have to work at it but that's what I loved about film. I still use the auto lens that came with it, just not for my serious stuff. I use it for family get-togethers, (and I shoot in regular jpeg for this), where I don't really care as much about the outcome and the auto stuff is great for that. In the field, I love the feel of the old lens. Also, the older lens will give you a better range of sharpness, (it takes very little turning of the newer auto lenses to get them out of focus).

July 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Anonymous  

I have recently started a blog, and the info you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.

December 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM
Anonymous  

I came across your blog today, Monday August 6, 2012 because like you, I'm using Nikon D3000. I bought this camera refurbished with CMOS sensor, not the original CCD sensor. The lens I'm using now is the 18-105mm AF-S VR, but purchased just recently an older Nikon lens called "pancake" which is a 50mm f/1.8-22 manual lens. I knew beforehand this older lens will not auto focus on D3000, but according to numerous reviews it is a sharp lens like the Series-E you mentioned. It really is sharp and enjoying to use it on closeup shots of flowers, but not as sharp as your shots of flowers you uploaded here. Because of your blog, I learned that the Nikon Ais mount of older lenses will fit on my D3000 with F mount. Maybe I'll not limit my search for older manual focus macro lens with just F mount from now on.

August 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Post a Comment